Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

It's Mary Berry's Fault!


Mary Berry is to blame; that tiramisu cake on New Year’s Eve was the catalyst for my running journey this year. Anyone who has been following me this year, will have read about my trials and tribulations, as I dutifully followed the C25K app. Click on the running tab above to find out more.

From grumbling about running for three minutes, I'm now in the over 30 minute mark without a walk. Scarcely believable in the space of seven months. I've had lots of encouragement along the way from my fellow bloggers, but I reserve a special thank you for CT from Countryside Tales who has really given me the biggest push to achieve.
The start of the course.
Well Park Run day dawned grey and breezy. I left the family toasty and snoozy in bed with the comment from my better half that I must be b……… mad! As it was the first day of the school holidays, the rest of my family had declined to join me, so I set off just after eight for the long trek across to the west of the island! I felt very righteous on the empty roads just passing groups of cyclists or the odd jogger. Early Saturday is clearly only for the keep fit fanatics.

Organised beside me was my coconut juice (thanks CT) , Park Run barcode and phone with headphones. I was ready to go.


Les Quennevais was a hive of milling, Lycra clad bodies ,of all shapes and sizes on arrival. I made my way to the start, doing a few warm ups on the way. I'd googled the course before, but not too sure of the hills. A few words of welcome, then I joined a seething mass of runners heading up the first incline at the start of the race.

The first revolution round the cycle track involved two inclines, the second, a bit of a killer but I was determined not to walk. As the course flattened out I began to get into my stride and enjoy the views over the sand dunes towards the Atlantic coast. At the end of the first circuit lots of volunteers were cheering us on our way. Just what I needed. A few people were walking by now and occasionally I passed someone, which made me feel better. Turning onto the railway walk included more uphill stretches. My watch said I'd been going for over twenty minutes. My body clock felt I'd probably got another 15 minutes to go.

All continued to go well. People were passing me now, but it didn't matter. I was still gently jogging. As we headed down one tree lined stretch, I saw runners returning the same way on their final stretch, uphill.  That was probably my low point. I knew I had that to come.
Making the most of the downhill, the music on my headphones was gently encouraging me on. Looping back on myself , I headed for the final hill. Maybe because I knew the end was in sight I was able to give it one last push, even overtaking a couple of people. Yeah!

The finish point.

So first Park Run achieved, just under seven months since the start. Feeling mightily pleased with myself despite a slower time than I would have liked. But I wasn't the last! Next time I will be more prepared for the hills and maybe there will be less wind:)


For now I'm off to have a slice of tiramisu cake, I had to make another one in honour! As for the future of running. Well a bit more practise on hills to help speed me up and continue to do Park Runs every two or three weeks.

Hope you are having a great weekend. What have you been up to this Saturday morning?


Barbara xxx

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar